All parents are concerned about the quality of ingredients that make their way into manufacturer prepared baby food. The challenge, however, is finding any real information about the source of these ingredients and how the baby food is made.
While most parents have relented to feed it to their children without really knowing what’s inside, more and more parents are making their own baby food at home.
Not only does this give you the convenience to create your own flavors and adjust the consistency to your child’s liking, but parents are in complete control over the ingredients which go into their baby’s food.
While everybody will have their own particular way, here is a general outline to get you started.
What you will need:
- One type or a mixture of peeled and cut fruit, or
- One type or a mixture of fresh vegetables, also peeled and cut.
- Steamer Basket
- Boiling water
- Puree Blender or Stick Mixer
- Place the pieces into the steamer basket and steam until very soft and tender.
- Once the pieces are soft, take them out of the steamer and puree using the mixer.
- Use the remaining water from the steamer to adjust the consistency of the food.
- Place the mixture into a selection of small containers for your convenience and store in the fridge or freezer.
That’s it! It’s that simple! Now you can use vegetables sourced as you like them knowing that your baby is eating only the freshest of ingredients.
If you have prepared more than you can store, place it in a stylish jar, grab some baby pajamas from the Groupon Coupons page for carter’s, and you have the perfect, simple but very useful baby shower gift!
Another great benefit to making your own baby food is the ability to make bulk amounts in preparation for long trips. As an example, pour portions of your puree into an ice tray and freeze for a few hours until solid. A few hours before you need it, take a few cubes and place them in a Ziploc bag to melt.
While it may take an extra hour or two out of your weekly routine, there are many convenience and health benefits every parent can gain from making their own baby food.